Summing-up: the XVI Youth Conference and Summer school in Moscow are over
We are proud to announce the successful conclusion of the two traditional summer programs organized by the Center "Sefer" with the support of AVI-CHAI and Genesis Philanthropy Group (within the framework of CAF Russia "Jewish communities"). The Sixteenth Youth Conference on Jewish Studies was held on July 4-5 at the school of Lipman and was succeeded by The Summer School of Jewish Studies in Moscow which took place in the suburban complex "Olipmiets" on July 6-12.
The two-day youth conference was opened by the plenary lecture of the President of the Middle East Institute Evgeny Satanovsky "Palestine for the Palestinians or Palestinians to Palestine? Scenarios." Then the following projects and books were presented to the audience:
1) "Rashid Muradovich Kaplanov. Proc. Interview. Memories." M., 2011.
2) Editor M. Chlenov: "Tirosh - works on Jewish Studies" - Issue 11.
3) L. Chakovsky: "Embodied memory of the Temple: the artistic world of the synagogues of the Holy Land III-VI centuries. AD" M., 2011.
4) M. Sadkovich: the Museum of the History of Jews in Moscow, Russia
5) A. Kovelman: "The internship program at the Department of Jewish Studies, IAAS MSU"
6) A. Klempert: "Project research expeditions to study the Jewish ethno-cultural heritage.
The work of the conference was conducted XVI in 11 thematic sections:
1) STATE OF ISRAEL: RESULTS AND LESSONS OF XX CENTURY (Moderator - Dmitry Shevelev)
2) History of Jews in modern and recent times (Moderator - Paul Farberov)
3) JEWS AND THE PEOPLE (Moderator - Andrew Shpirt)
4) STATE OF ISRAEL: CHALLENGES OF THE XXI CENTURY (Moderator - Anastasia Stepanyants)
5) The Bible and the history of Judaism of the Second Temple (Moderator - Natalia Kireeva)
6) JEWISH COMMUNITY AND ETHNOGRAPHY (Moderator - Aisha Emirova)
7) Jewish literature and Jewish theme in world literature (Moderator - Alina Polonskaya)
8) Jewish Thought (Moderator Sergei Stepanishev)
9) JEWS IN THE XX CENTURY (Moderator - Michael Shapovalov)
10) Jewish Art (Moderator - Svetlana Pakhomova)
11) Hebrew: Structure, Interpretation and Existence (Moderator - Alexandra Polyan, Aisha Emirova)
This year's Summer school program was compiled with the wishes of the participants of previous schools so as to meet a wide range of scientific interests of thr students. All proposed courses were divided into eight thematic threads: Ancient Near East and ancient Judaism, Jewish-Christian dialogue, Jews and Russia, Jewish thought, Jewish art, Jewish literature, Jewish communities, history and The present Israeli society. Leadin experts, teachers of the Jewish studies came from Israel and Belarus, the various regions of Russia especially to deliver lectures.
The most popular among the school participants (in attendance) were the courses of U. Gershovich, S. Stepanishchev, Y. Regev, W. Mochalova, D. Shevelev, V. Mesamed and Z. Hanin. This was evidence that the issues of modern Israel and Jewish philosophy were of high scientific interest to the students. According to the students' reviews the basis for success of the courses were such strengths of the lecturers as "professionalism," "charismatic delivery" of the material and "pithiness" , "a unique information". It is important to note that the courses, lagging the number of students, distinguished quality and depth: small class sizes allowed teachers to engage all participants in the debate, to take part in the analysis and to express their positions. As a result, all courses, without exception, were awarded the best reviews and highest ratings from the students.
It is worth noting that the summer school program was not limited to mandatory attendance part (lectures): everyone could sign up for special master classes that arose their interser, the subjects of which were also extremely diverse. Thus, the participants of the school had the opportunity to learn the basics of Hebrew and Yiddish, learn to write articles and even try the technique of massage. Deep into the night work was carried out in literary workshops. The unique part of the program, implemented with the support of "Bridges of Culture" and the Center for Chase, became Theatre Workshop under the direction of U. Gershovich and director G. Zeltser, where one could try himself as theater director and actor (in Shakespeare's play "The Merchant of Venice").
In addition, the most active and interested students, recognizing the uniqueness of the event and academic encirlement, enjoyed the opportunity to talk and argue with their teachers: thus, when the formal framework of the educational program can be calculated according to the official schedule, out-of-class part of her cannot be even approximately assessed.
Download Summer School Program (rus)
Back to the list