Lepel ( Belarus), 21-31 July 2014
Lepel’s history starts in 15th century. In the beginning of the 20th century half of the population was Jewish, there were 8 synagogues in the town. During the WWII Nazi occupants organized the Lepel Ghetto where all the Jews that didn’t escape were killed in 1942.
The program of the School included theoretical (lectures on the history of East-European Jewry, traditional folk culture of poly-ethnical districts, Jewish ethnography and epigraphy) and practical parts (collecting ethnographic material on oral history, ethno-cultural stereotypes, etc. and works on description of Jewish cemetery of 17–19th centuries).
The results of the expeditionary work and the catalogue of Lepel’s cemetery were published (see below).
The program of the school (in Russian) is available here.
Photos Album is here.The School in Lepel is organized by