Leo Baeck Fellowship Programme for 2012/2013
Bundenministerium für Bildung und Forschung - Studienstiftung - Leo Baeck Institute London
Aim of the Programme
Fellowships of the international Leo Baeck Fellowship Programme are awarded to doctoral students who pursue their research in the field of history and culture of German-speaking Jewry. Besides financial support for one year, the programme offers regular workshops, jointly organised by the Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes and the Leo Baeck Institute London. The programme particularly aims at doctoral students who wish to carry out research in more than one country; it is open to students of any nationality at any institution of higher education.
- University degree(s) with excellent marks
- Date of latest degree not before February 2009
- Formal qualification for doctoral studies
- Doctoral research project focussing on the history and culture of German-speaking Jewry
For the academic year 2012/13 up to twelve fellows will be selected for the programme. The fellowships are awarded for the period October 2012 to September 2013. Regular workshops and a common intranet encourage scholarship holders to present their research and discuss their methodology and findings with other fellows. Working languages are German and English. Students enrolled at a university in Germany may apply for an extension after the first year.
Fellows receive a stipend of 1,150 EUR per month. For research trips and conference participation monthly supplements and travel allowances are available on request. Tuition fees are not covered.
Candidates are invited to submit the following documents in English or German:
- Application form (download: *.doc, *.pdf )
- Cover letter outlining the motivation for participation in the programme (1 page)
- Curriculum vitae with details on education, general interests and language skills
- Photocopy/-copies of university degree(s), including marks/grading
- Research proposal (5 pages)
- Research schedule for the academic year 2012/13, including planned research trips
- Letter of recommendation by the supervisor of the PhD project
- Second letter of recommendation
The deadline for application is the 1st February 2012. We accept applications by e-mail (one pdf-document) or conventional mail. Only complete application sets will be considered. Short listed candidates will be invited for an interview in Frankfurt in April 2012.
Dr Matthias Frenz
Telephone +49 228 82096-283
Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes
Ahrstrasse 41, 53175 Bonn, Germany
Telephone +49 228 82096-284